NAME : KD Hang Tuah
PRECEDING NAME : HMS Loch Insh
PENNANT NUMBER : F433
SERVICE ENTRY : 1964
SERVICE DEACTIVATED : 1977 – scrapped-
TYPE : Frigate – Loch class
The Royal Malaysian Navy's training ship KD Hang Tuah was mothballed at Woodlands naval base in Singapore on May 30 1977 - after 43 years service, including 12 1/2 years in Malaysia. The 2,000-ton Modified Loch Class ASW frigate was bought by the RMN in early 1964 and refitted in England before being commissioned at Portsmouth on October 2, 1964. On arrival in 1965, she was made the RMN's flagship and took over guardship duties off Tawau from HMAS Yarra and carried out a number of bombardments against infiltrators in Sabah during the Indonesian Confrontation. In 1971, she was turned into a training ship, a role she assumed until deactivation.
Type : Modified Loch Class Frigate
Displacement : 1435 tons normal, 2260 tons full load
Dimensions : 94 metre x 11.7 metre x 4 metre
Guns : 2 x twin 101 mm Mk 19, 4 x 40 mm Mk 9, 1 x twin 40 mm Mk 5, 2 x Squid ASW mortar, DC Throwers and rails
Electronics : Type 277Q and IFF242, Type 960?, 170 and 174 sonar.
Propulsion : 2 x boilers, 2 x triple expansion reciprocating engine with 5500 hp to 2 shafts
Speed : 19 Knots, range 13890 Km at 15 knots
Crew : 114
credit to :